Tuesday, May 7, 2013

My First time….

So, you are here, hooked on to this page in anticipation that some steamy stuff is going to be served. I guessed right; it’s about the headline and also proves that we Indians are more interested in private lives of others. But I am not going to hijack the headline into some kind of food review for my first blog for “Foodathon”. 

I would like to start with my sincere thanks to Javed Akthar’s progenies for the films like Dil Chahta Hai and  Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara based on male friendship and bonding, otherwise there stands  a strong chance of  being misunderstood here. Consider this, two man who know each other are in leisure conversation and trying to understand each other, there comes a point in the conversation when this acquaintance turns into a friendship and that turning point is when one asks another so WHEN WAS THE FIRST TIME YOU HAD….

Since I am the story weaver here, let me answer this question by becoming a part of this situation. Actually, I was in 11th standard when after exams, I had gone to my maternal home to spend summer holidays. It was one of the nights; I and my friends assembled to go to a local mela (a seasonal market). Some of my older friends initiated the idea of drinking beer in their company as they were already experienced and wanted to be the witness of a very important chapter in a guy’s life. I don’t want to disappoint you here, but yes, this is that crucial turning point in many male conversations from where acquaintance turns into a friendship.

And since then my affair with beer has been going strong in all thick and thins of life, she is an integral part of my life today. I still remember, it was a “Lion” beer which kissed my lips for the first time and after that I have lost count how many brands have gone by and sensitized my senses. Few names that have been part of me are Golden Eagle, Meakins 5000 & 10000, Dolphin, Thunderbolt, Sandpiper Haywards. And, in the recent years, with more money to spend, I had Kingfisher, Budweiser, Straus, Royal Challenger, Heineken, Stag, Asahi and many more. There are several stories in pursuit of quenching that eternal thirst and it can easily take shape of a book. Many of you must be having your stories; my best has to be when I and my friend were caught by police with 25 beers in Delhi on our scooter while going back to Ghaziabad, the actual trouble was that neither of us had a driving license or money to bribe. As a resident of Ghaziabad, this was one of the numerous  Delhi odysseys on my Bajaj Chetak scooter in college time to bring beer for night out with friends simply because Chetak scooter had a big storage space and Delhi had cheap beer. 

Being a communication professional, I can’t afford to miss the beer and conversations bit. It’s a conversation potboiler; beer smoothly leads its users to experience myriad emotions that life has to offer. According to our ancient books there are 9 expressions of life, known as “Nau Ras”. A beer offers it all, I am sure you would identify these lines that buzz our ears or we play them. Enjoy!! 


  1. Shringaar Ras – (Meeting and separation)- Yaar aaj uski bahut yaad aa rahi hai ..
  2. Veer Ras – (Heroic) – Tu Bolna Bhai, kya chahiye…Jaan chahiye hazir hai ??
  3.  Veebhats Ras – (Disgust)- Yaar tu samjha kar.. wo tere layak nahi hai…
  4. Raudra Ras – (Anger)-  Abe BHABHI ke baare main mat bolna koi bhi
  5. Bhayaanak Ras – (Fright)- Aaj mein Gaadi Chalaunga, tum logo ko zyada chad gayi hai
  6.  Karun Ras – Pity - Chal teri baat karata hoon usse, phone number de uska…
  7. Adbhut Ras – Wonder- Tu Kya samajh raha hai, mujhe chad gayi hai…
  8.  Shaant Ras – Peace - Tu to Mera bhai hai…bhai !
  9. Haasya Ras – (Humor)- Saalla… Aaj se Band!!!







-Saurabh Gupta, Contributing Author

No comments:

Post a Comment